What to look for
Symptoms include clammy, pale skin, shallow and rapid breathing, dizziness, anxiety, nausea, restlessness, thirst and vomiting. With severe shock, this can lead to unconsciousness.
Severe shock may be caused by a heart attack, blood loss or an electric shock. Shock causes a sudden loss of blood to the vital organs, such as the heart, lungs and brain. Mild shock may be brought on by dehydration due to ditherer, vomiting, emotional factors and allergic reaction.
When to seek further professional advice
For severe shock after an accident seek emergency medical attention. Other treatment may be required.
Bach flower remedies: The rescue remedy can be applied to the temples and pulse points, to reduce symptoms and ease panic.
Homeopathy: A homeopath may recommend aconite or ignition, taken every five minutes until the shock has eased.
Other therapies include: Aromatherapy, Ayurvedic Medicine and Western Herbalism.
Treatment for mild shock, for example emotional shock or fainting, is to get the supply of blood to the brain and heart. This can be done by lying the person down and covering them up to keep warm. For emotional shock, give comfort and reassurance. People with severe shock need emergency medical attention. Do not move the patient unless you are sure there are no bone, neck or spinal injuries. If these injuries are absent, raise the legs to get the blood moving to the brain and vital organs. For electric shock, disconnect the power or stand on a dry object, using a wooden broom handle to lever the person away from the electrical source. Give no food or drink to people in severe shock.
The information contained in this Site/Service is not intended nor is it implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice or taken for medical diagnosis or treatment